7.5.1 Business Purpose
|For Standard||WITSML v2.0|
Data captured and transferred using the wellbore markers object has these uses:
- Helps with drilling planning and operations; for example:
- Guide geosteering (the act of adjusting the borehole position (inclination and azimuth angles) “on the fly” while drilling a borehole) to reach one or more geological targets, when encountering obstacles that require deviation from the drilling plan.
- Optimize drilling operations based on the formation angle, for example, a horizontal reservoir could be better exploited with a horizontal well.
- Helps with assessing hydrocarbon potential and reservoir quality, by contributing information to determine:
- Chronostratigraphic age. The maturity of the formation is useful information in estimating the potential of source rock (where hydrocarbons were initially produced).
- Formation angles (dip information) and continuity of the reservoir based on the depth and angles of the formation in different wells.
- Sequence stratigraphy, which is important in identification of a petroleum system and its potential for production of hydrocarbons.